ARDC will work with stakeholders and the public in Cook County to develop a vision for a multi-use primary trail hub at Sawtooth Bluff. Developing a vision for this site will enable Cook County to identify and prioritize development directions, make strategic long-term investment decisions, and will better position the County to apply for or access available funding.
The Cook County Comprehensive Trails Plan adopted by the Cook County Board of Commissioners in 2016 identified seven potential sites for development as primary trail hubs, including Sawtooth Bluff. This site is owned by the City of Grand Marais and is adjacent to a significant swath of Cook County lands. Based upon the site’s location and size, it has the potential to be the center point of a Cook County Trail Hub system with the potential to integrate other types of development. The Comprehensive Trails Plan recommended a public design process to engage all stakeholders in creating a vision and plan for this site. This process will use input from County leaders, residents, public land administrators, trail enthusiasts, and other stakeholders to describe the potential amenities and development options for this site, and to develop a statement of overall objectives, goals, and actions.
Public Input Opportunity
The Sawtooth Bluff Steering Committee has established a vision for this site and is seeking input from stakeholders on potential amenities and uses for this site consistent with their vision:
Sawtooth Bluff should be developed as a County/City-owned park of regional significance offering multi-use amenities and trails to:
- provide healthy, active lifestyle opportunities for local residents;
- spur economic growth by attracting destination travelers; and
- preserve diverse natural resources present on this site.
Phase I Stakeholder Input
The Steering Committee is seeking input from stakeholders on ideas to incorporate into the plan. A variety of potential amenities and uses for the site have already been identified, including:
• Recreational trails;
• Multi-use trails;
• Residential development; and
• Expanded educational opportunities in partnership with ISD 166.
Phase II Stakeholder Input Process
- Draft plan developed for review by the Steering Committee on March 5, 2018
- Draft plan posted online for public review and written comments March 12 – 31, 2018
- Public input session to be held:
Monday, March 26, 2018
5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Cook County Courthouse
411 W. 2nd Street
Grand Marais, MN 55604
- Meeting 1: Friday, October 6th at 1:00pm at the Cook County Courthouse — Find the meeting summary HERE.
- Meeting 2: Monday, October 23rd at 12:30pm at the Cook County Courthouse — Find the meeting summary HERE.
- Meeting 3: Monday, November 20th at 10:00am at the Cook County Courthouse
- Meeting 4: Monday, December 11th at 11:30am at the Cook County Courthouse — Find the meeting summary HERE.
221 West First Street
Duluth, MN 55802
Phone: 218-529-7536 (direct)
Toll-free: 1-800-232-0707 ext. 536